The web site for Susan Rose, writer and business tycoon
Welcome to SusanRose.net.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Is Marriage Hard?

I'm coming up on my first anniversary. When people learn I'm a newlywed, they ask me if the adjustment has been hard. Honestly, the answer is no. Adjusting to married life has been a piece of cake.

This came to mind the other night when I met a couple who'd just celebrated their first anniversary. They were both celebrating the fact that the first year was over. "Thank God" is what they actually said. The adjustment was terrible, and they fought a lot. In fact, they're getting ready to go to a couple's retreat to work on the relationship.

The thing is, I think they're experience is more the norm than mine. So I'm curious about how other people have adjusted to being married. Was it easy, hard, you can't remember?

1 comment:

Beverly Biehl said...

I think it all depends on the level of commitment before the vows were taken. Allen and I have been married nearly 18 years, and while we've had disagreements, it's just another opportunity for us to improve our communication skills. It's a symbiotic relationship, and while one can exist quite well without the other, it's our partnership that makes us stronger individuals.